Selected SEED Scholarship
The work of SEED is informed by the scholarship of more than 120 staff members since 1987. The SEED curriculum is constantly changing to meet the opportunities and challenges faced by educators and community leaders working to make their sites and the people at their sites more whole, well and just and able to enact change.
Dr. Peggy McIntosh’s work on white privilege and male privilege and Emily Style’s metaphors of “curriculum as window and mirror” and balancing "scholarship on the shelves" with "scholarship in the selves" seeded the project. McIntosh and Style, along with all the writers included here, seek to question the status quo and suggest alternative ways of seeing.
Building equitable communities and classrooms
- “The Personal Urgency and Pedagogical Necessity of Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity,” Jondou Chase Chen, 2014.
- “The Process of Knowing and Learning: An Academic and Cultural Awakening,” Brenda Flyswithhawks, 1996.
- Teaching Stories (Second edition 2013), Judy Logan, 1993.
- On Privilege, Fraudulence, and Teaching as Learning: Selected Essays 1981--2019, Peggy McIntosh, 2019.
- "Faculty-Centered Faculty Development,” Peggy McIntosh and Emily Style, 1994.
- “Interactive Phases of Curricular and Personal Re-Vision: A Feminist Perspective,” Peggy McIntosh, Wellesley Centers for Women, 1983.
- Seeding the Process of Multicultural Education: An Anthology, Cathy Nelson and Kim Wilson, eds., 1998 (and © 2010 The National SEED Project).
- "Sharing Classroom Power: Why We Sit in the Same Room," Joe Russo, 2001.
- "Curriculum as Encounter: Selves and Shelves," Emily Style, 2014.
- “Curriculum As Window and Mirror” Emily Style, 1988.
- "Resources and Strategies for Doing Window and Mirror Curriculum Work," Emily Style, 1996.
- "In Our Own Hands: Diversity Literacy," Emily Style and Linda Powell Pruitt, 1995.
- “White People Facing Race: Uncovering the Myths that Keep Racism in Place,” Peggy McIntosh, 2009.
- “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack,” Peggy McIntosh, 1989.
- “White Privilege and Male Privilege: A Personal Account of Coming to See Correspondences Through Work in Women’s Studies,” Peggy McIntosh, 1988
- “White Privilege: An Account to Spend,” Peggy McIntosh, 2009.
- "Seeking Education, Equity, and Diversity (SEED): The Learning Experience, Cultural Humility, and Intention To Effect Change," Crystal R. Ackles, M.Ed., Michael E. Anders, 2023.
- “Fostering Gender Equity In Schools Through Reflective Professional Development: A Critical Analysis Of Teacher Perspectives,” Ila Deshmukh Towery, 2023.
- "An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis of the Lived Experiences of Seeking Equity Educational Diversity (SEED) Leaders," Sofia Falco, 2022.
- "Pulling In and Out of My Daily Work: The Friction of Pedagogies of Vulnerability in a UK University Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Staff Development Programme (The Sheffield SEED Project on Inclusive Curriculum)," by Rachel van Duyvenbode in Pedagogy of Vulnerability, Edited by: Edward J. Brantmeier and Maria K. McKenna, 2022.
- “Peer-led Professional Development for Equity and Diversity: A report for teachers and administrators based on findings from the SEED Project,” Ila Deshmukh Towery, Rachel Oliveri, and Calvin L. Gidney, 2007.
- “Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity in Elk Grove Schools: A Retrospective Look at the Impact of SEED,” Diane Wood, Debra Smith, and Mark Hicks, 2005.
District implementation of SEED
- "Examining Systems and Self for Racial Equity," Gail Cruise-Roberson, Odie J. Douglas, and Sarah E. Fiarman, 2021.
- Gaining on the Gap: Changing Hearts, Minds, and Practice, Palma Strand, Robert G. Smith, Tim Cotman, Cheryl Robinson, Martha Swaim, and Alvin Crawley, 2011.
SEED Video Testimonials
- The Impact of the National SEED Project
- National SEED Project - Administrators Institute 2014
- SEED New Leaders Week
- How to be a Change Agent in Systems of Oppression
- Peggy's Work on Educational Equity
- Peggy's Work on Social Justice and Diversity
- Peggy's Work on Identity and Relationships
- Peggy's Work on Inclusive Curriculum
What We're Working On
"On Nests and Cages: Facilitating Towards Just Possibilities," Jondou Chase Chen 2018.
"Pebbles Make the Mountain," Jondou Chase Chen 2018.